Sunday, October 18, 2009

Labels are B-A-D (and not in an MJ "good" way)

I have described my eldest son as our high energy child. That is true. It has been true since he skipped the walking phase at 11 months of age and moved directly to running. We were doing 1.5 hour hikes together by the age of 2. He couldn't sit still for story time until mid-way through Kindergarten. He runs around the house from the moment he gets up until the moment he rockets into his bunk bed at night. He is a go, go, go kind of boy.

But I have also described him as a socially challenged kid. This has been my conclusion through the eyes of an extrovert and through limited observation as a parent. Lately, for me, it seems to be a time for addressing my preconceived notions.

Yesterday, my son returned from a female classmate's birthday party. It was the first birthday party that he felt comfortable enough at, for us to leave him unattended. Upon his return, he was buzzing with excitement. Vibrating around the kitchen, he recounted the games they played, the songs they sung, and the fun he had had! His smile was huge, his eyes were dancing, his arms were swinging, and his body was twirling.

I analyzed this son of mine. Words that sprung to mind were outgoing, friendly, confident, and sociable. Huh? This didn't fit with my label. My mom, a retired elementary teacher, has disclosed that kids are often different people outside of their homes.

Labeling is lazy. It's easier to use a label than to think critically and challenge our beliefs.

I stand corrected. I do not want to accept a narrow view of my son who is an expansive individual. His "socially challenged" label has been removed from my vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment