Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chiropractor

Today I did something I thought I would never, ever do; something even less likely than blogging. I saw a chiropractor.

Shhhhhhhh...don't tell any of my doctor friends. "Chiropractor" is a 4-letter word to many physicians. We are afraid that patients will "stroke out" from rupturing the vertebral artery during neck manipulation. It can happen, and if it does, doctors can be sued because they recommended chiropractic treatment, not to mention the poor "stroked out" patient.

However, when you've tried physio, yoga, massage, rest, and drugs (the legal kind) and still not improved, you're willing to try something taboo.

I have to admit it was fabulous! After reading the consent, crossing out anything on the form that alluded to spinal manipulation, and writing in bold print "I do NOT agree to any form of spinal manipulation", I signed consent with a shaky hand.

I agreed to Active Release Technique which is a non-invasive treatment that eliminates adhesions in soft tissues. Essentially, it is a very deep massage that breaks down scar tissue. Yes, it hurts, but only measures a 1/10 in comparison to contractions.

We learned nothing about chiropractic medicine in med school and I admit that I held a prejudice. That belief was challenged today and altered. I now feel chiropractic treatment is a valuable modality. I'm not sure I would ever agree to spinal manipulation but never say never.


2 comments:

  1. You are a girl gone wild lately!!! Glad it helped! And, you are doing great! A blog a day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, look what you've started!!

    ReplyDelete