Monday, October 5, 2009

The Present Day Woman

Usually my life is a little more compartmentalized, however, today was a bit of a mixed bag.

Got everyone dressed, fed, and somehow, squeezed in a shower for myself. Good thing because yesterday I was really sweaty. Can't recall why, but I do remember I stunk.

Off to the cancer clinic to assist with a Lymphoma clinic. Met a man in his mid-40's who had received all treatment possible and is supposedly cured. He did not look well and I fear for the worst. His follow-up scans aren't for a few weeks. He has an aggressive form of disease. I did not have the courage to ask if he had kids because I knew I might break down. His wife was putting on a brave face. I contemplated the unfairness of his situation. I shook their hands, closed the door behind me, sighed, and moved on to the next patient. He still lingers in my thoughts.

Grabbed a tuna sandwich and ate it during my walk to my son's elementary school. A crisp autumn wind blew past with the scent of snow in the air. Arrived to the Grade 1 classroom just as the bell rang. Sat and observed these adorable beings. They had grown so much since the last time I had volunteered 3 months ago. They could now sit and write and spell and create! My morning experience encouraged me to breathe in their preciousness.

I then got down to business and copied, coloured, cut, assembled, disassembled, filed, supervised, and even attended a fire drill. I was commended on my good work upon which I had to confess my secret. I grew up with parents who were both elementary school teachers. I had decades of experience in helping teachers with their never-ending tasks.

Next on the agenda was taking my 6 year old to gymnastics. Pure excitement, for me alone I later learned, when his 5th attempt at a handstand was successful! He later confided that his most exciting event of the class was skipping the difficult "horse" station without his instructor noticing.

Home for dinner cooked by my fabulous husband, who takes Mondays off to spend time with our 2 year old son. My in-laws, who are staying with us from out of province, joined us for a gourmet red Thai curry salmon dish. We shared some laughs, wine, and as a result, more laughs.

Kids bathed, in bed, and I'm blogging. Blogging! Me, blogging. Never thought it.

It was a day encompassing decades and humanity. It was a day that made me appreciate today.


2 comments:

  1. I love it Kim!! Very proud of you! Makes me feel like I was there hanging out with you today!

    ReplyDelete