Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Gifts - to gift or not?

Inspired by comments from www.hithatsmybike.com

The question is whether to gift or not?

I went through a phase of "Don't buy me any gifts!" AKA: "I don't need anything and I don't want any more crap." I now realise that this reaction was a selfish one. My action was in fact a reaction to my guilt felt from excessive consumerism by myself and society. I was trying to do what I could to make a difference in the world by trying to use less resources.

However, I was really denying those that love me the chance to show their love. We all put some thought into what we gift. By giving gifts, we show our gratitude, value and love.

That's not to say that we can't be creative. Everyone enjoys receiving something that they don't have - cash for the cash-strapped, time from the overcommitted, or babysitting for parents. Bigger is not better. And, we all eat and drink. Tea, wine, coffee or a home-cooked meal (how divine!) would rank high on my gift list.

We can create change in the world by giving thoughtful gifts. It's the emotion behind the gift-giving that is important.

This year, I have been fortunate enough to receive priceless Christmas decorations from my sons. I witnessed their delight and pride as they eagerly awaited our discovery of their home-made items that had consumed their time, creativity, and love. Now THAT is consumption that is meaningful.

1 comment: