Thursday, July 15, 2010

Retirement - NOT!

Saw a financial advisor today.  He asked me at what age I want to retire?  Interestingly, at least to myself, I said "never".  I often answer questions without thinking (sometimes to the detriment of myself and others).  I then have to do damage control when I witness the person's reaction.

My advisor's reaction was one of surprise, skepticism, and impatience.  I could read his mind and he was thinking, "Seriously?  Who doesn't want to retire?  Why doesn't she just answer the question?  This isn't a comedy sketch.  Let's get down to business!"

But I AM serious!  I felt an explanation was necessary.  I told him that I have created a life that I am happy living every day.  I do not live for holidays.  Holidays are wonderful, of course, and I do take them and enjoy them.  But, to me, it makes more sense to pace yourself and create a life that you can handle day-to-day over the long-term.  I leave jobs when they become monotonous or find ways to make old jobs interesting again.  I love to learn!  And, I acknowledge that I am fortunate to be in a position to have the freedom to choose.

Several of my friends were on the "5-year plan".  They planned to work really, really hard and then let up and enjoy their riches.  Well, guess what?  They have now surpassed the 10-year plan with no end in sight and are working as hard as ever.  Once your life is set up to work as hard as you possibly can, while taking the odd holiday to "recover",  it is difficult, if not impossible, to rewind the gears and work less.  It can be done but it is a challenge.  As well, the ill-effects on your health are obvious.

My advice (which is a mantra when prescribing to the elderly):  "START LOW.  GO SLOW."  It's much easier to increase your workload than to decrease it.  Don't start off overextended as soon as you're out of the gate.

4 comments:

  1. What about that old truism about better to burn out than fade away? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. To you rufdog I say, "Slow and steady wins the race".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to you Kim! More people need to recognize that retirement is not just a destination. I think what you have discovered that more people need to recognize true success is enjoying the journey. It's not only enjoying the journey to retirement but also the journey after retirement. Society has placed more significance to retirement because it is supposed to be the golden years...the best years of your life. But maybe what you have discovered is you are living the best years of your life now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jim! Now how do I market that so I can become rich and retire - ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete